Frequently asked questions about building SDA (Specialist Disability Accommodation)

Can I rent out my house to the NDIS?

To receive SDA Payments, you must be a Registered SDA Provider and your dwelling must be enrolled with the NDIS and comply to strict design standards. The complete SDA Design Standard can be found here:

Most existing dwellings do not comply to these strict standards and it is advisable that SDA be built from new to ensure the build is compliant. Find out more in this article.

Can I build SDA on my land?

Yes, It is possible to build an SDA dwelling on your own land. However, it is not possible to build SDA on just any land. Land must be NDIS compliant. Contact us for a FREE appraisal to determine if your land is suitable.

How do I know if you my land is compliant?

Read our general compliance guidelines and get in touch for a free appraisal.

Who’s involved?

SDA Smart Homes (a registered NDIS SDA Provider #4050071176) and Property Direct Pty Ltd. Find our more about our team.

How much will my investment earn?

SDA income is dependent on several factors including:

  • Dwelling Type – eg House, apartment, villa
  • Number of residents
  • Level of residents’ funding – Improved Liveability, Fully Accessible or High Physical Support
  • NDIS region – regions closer to capital cities have higher SDA payments


Your investment has the potential to earn a 14.92% gross yield based on total average income across North, South, East and West Brisbane of $190,930 pa ($3,671 per week) and a $1,280,000 package as an average cost across the four Brisbane regions with 1 High Physical Support + 2 Fully Accessible funded SDA tenants. Income may vary depending on region, number of tenants, and tenant funding levels. Rental income calculated from NDIS SDA Price Calculator 2023/24 New Builds issued April 2024.

While all care has been taken to provide accurate figures, we do not guarantee the outcome and recommend you seek independent financial advice. All information is correct at the time of publication but subject to change without notice.